Cash is Good!

I have taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to post here as I am able.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yahoo Acquires Associated Content


Yahoo has acquired the popular writing platform, Associated Content. With 16 million viewers a month, AC garners more hits than the New York Times. Recently AC has been encouraging regional and local news items, but one can write about almost anything, and get paid at least a minimal amount based on page views.

I suppose it was bound to happen-- an acquisition. But big changes are already announced. The biggest is that they plan to take down the web site in about nine months. What? How do they plan to serve the "news?" The article states, "Yahoo plans to sprinkle Associated Content's contributions throughout its news, sports, finance and entertainment sections."

Um... what about the other million or so entries? Will they just all disappear? Will writers continue to be paid for producing content? Will Yahoo only use news items that fit with their agenda?

For the thousands of people who have found a forum by using Associated Content, this will be a terrible blow. No one is getting rich there, but articles can be posted for performance pay only, which means that you are paid only when someone actually reads an article. The rate is very small, ranging from $1.50 to $2.00 for 1000 views, depending on your "clout." Yet, a lot of people have grown their body of work to create a small core of income each month. Does Yahoo plan to dump all that? If so, it will hardly be Associated Content any more. How does Yahoo plan to attract people to continue to write?

I have to say that I am not happy. I only get a small puddle of income from AC each month, but I had gotten nicely used to it. Holding my breath to see what the future will bring.

see Yahoo news article
I Love Hate Associated Content
My Associated Content page

1 comments:

Mark said...

Some changes have already happened. Non US residents like me can now only submit content if they become Featured Contributors and the payout threshold is being raised from $1.50 to $100!! AC was only ever a bit of a sideline for me and I don't have the time to commit to being a Featured Contributor.