Cash is Good!

I have taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to post here as I am able.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Measuring the Size for a Camera Lens Cap




Ever since I posted about the need to replace the lens cap on the Canon Powershot SX10IS I've been getting a lot of hits from searches about how to measure for a lens cap. So I decided that I need to try to figure that out.

Lens caps are sized by millimeters, mm. So first you need to find a ruler that has metric measurements. This isn't too hard, even in the US, most rulers have metric on one side.

For a snap on cap, the best fitting kind, you need to measure the inside of the raised ring around the lens. Since the markings at the very end of a ruler are less accurate, its easiest to place the 1 just inside the edge of the ring. Then measure the diameter to the inside of the other side of the ring. Don't forget to subtract the 1!

That said, I'm not sure how accurate this process is. The cap that fits this camera is clearly marked 52mm. Yet the inside of the ring seems to measure 51mm. However, standard cap sizes are 27mm, 28mm, 30mm, 34mm, 37mm, 39mm, 40.5mm, 43mm, 46mm, 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, 72mm, 77mm, 82mm and 86mm. So unless you think that your camera has some special proprietary size you should be safe to order the one that is closest to your measurement.

0 comments: