Cash is Good!

I have taken a part-time job, and it's definitely affecting my blogging time. I'll continue to post here as I am able.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Use About.me as a Hub of Public Info


If you would like people to be able to find you and manifestations of your diverse presence on the web, about.me may be a good option for you.

About.me allows you to create a consolidated personal profile, and a dashboard to edit and track all of those components.

You can create a list with links to all of your blogs and web sites. Profiles to quite a few social media sites can be added, including at the present, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn,Wordpress, Blogger, tumblr, posterous, flikr, typepad, foursquare, formspring, YouTube, vimeo, last.fm, daily booth, Instagram, behance, and fitbit (they have not yet added Google+, but technically that's still in beta). If you add a blogging service as an import, it will add that logo and a feed of your blogs.

Links to any URL are fine too.

You can add a custom background, choose from several fonts, and move elements around to some degree.

There is a statistics page showing how many views there have been of your profile, and how many outgoing clicks on your links and services.

About.me is not quite as versatile as one might like. In the forum one can read about a lot of features that people would like to see added. However, it is a great way to connect all of your identities for people to find.

Be sure to choose a username that you want people to remember you by, because it will be a part of your link. I may end up using this on my business cards rather than listing several URLs, so I chose joan_h_young. This makes my about.me link http://about.me/joan_h_young



0 comments: